SUGAR SKULL SHAKE SHAKE
SUGAR SKULL SHAKE, SHAKE! Viva la Fiesta!
Day of the Dead – One-Day Cultural Festival & Family 5KRun/Walk
GOALS - Integrate/Educate/Celebrate Hispanic Culture in Jeffersonville, Indiana
Día de los Muertos is an important Latin American tradition, taking place on November 1st and 2nd, when friends and family gather to honor and remember loved ones, not through mourning, but through celebration! The origins trace back to the Pre-Columbian era, when death was viewed as a transformation or continuation of life. This ancient belief evolved into the modern tradition of commemorating loved ones with altars decorated with sugar skulls, flowers, photographs, favorite foods and memorabilia of the deceased. Family and friends share stories and memories, sing songs, and play music.
The Sugar Skull Shake, Shake is a one day festival that brings to our community the understanding and tradition of El Día de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead, which in many parts of Mexico and South America is a time to honor and celebrate deceased loved ones. Community participation is an essential part of this holiday that is full of life, reflection, food, family and fun. Currently, Jeffersonville does not have a festival that celebrates culture, especially a culture that makes up such a large part of our current population. This festival is beyond just another event, it is an investment into Jeffersonville’s cultural values. It will exhibit a willingness to merge and unify our community with our Latino population and it aspires towards a better, more artful, more educated and integrated community.
This festival will have a broad impact in many ways:
- Scheduled cultural performances & activities
- Inclusion of performances of various Greater Clark Schools working with guest musician - Fernando Moya!
- Free and open to the public folk-art make and take tents - organized by Charlestown Middle School!
- Cultural Dancers
- Free and open to the public dance lesson
- Authentic Foods & an opportunity to purchase a recipe book to benefit North Haven Elementary School!
- Promoting health & fitness through Zumba, 5K Race and dance lessons!
All organizers are volunteers and have a vested interest in art, culture and the betterment of our community!
© 2018 Jeffersonville Public Art Commission